CALL: (214) 631-2402
VISIT: 8610 Greenville Ave. Ste 200Dallas, TX 75243
Need help now?
Schedule an appointment
8610 GREENVILLE AVE. STE 200DALLAS, TX 75243
Monday: 8am - 4pmTuesday: 8am - 4pm Wednesday: 8am - 4pmThursday: 8am - 7pmFriday: 8am - 4pmSaturday: 9am - 1pm
We know that finding out you're pregnant can be scary. You may be looking into the "abortion pill." Because this is a serious medical decision, it is crucial to have accurate information and to understand the risks associated with the abortion pill. This will help you to make an informed decision. At Birth Choice, we want to help.
We want to ensure that you have all the information you need to make the best decision for you. Schedule an appointment by phone (214-631-2402) or online with one of our counselors to look at all of your options.
What is the abortion pill?
RU486, otherwise known as the abortion pill, is a method of abortion approved for use only if it’s been 70 days or less since the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP.)
This is also called a medical abortion.
How does it work?
According to safety guidelines issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), a medical abortion requires two office visits:
1. At the first abortion provider visit you will take one mifepristone pill (Mifeprex). This medication cuts off the blood supply and nutrients to the developing embryo.
2. Between 24 and 48 hours later, you will take another drug called misoprostol (Cytotec). This causes the uterus to contract and expel the embryo. This pill is taken at home.
3. Seven to fourteen days later, you will have a second visit with your abortion provider to confirm the abortion is complete.
You should expect to feel some side effects after using the abortion pill. These can include:
You should contact your healthcare provider if within the first 24 hours after taking mifepristone and misoprostol, you experience the following symptoms:
● Heavy bleeding that soaks through two thick, full-size sanitary pads per hour for two hours
● Persistent stomach pain or discomfort
● Diarrhea, with or without fever
● Fever of 100.4 degrees or higher for more than 4 hours
These symptoms may indicate a serious infection which needs immediate medical attention.
● If the embryo is growing inside a woman’s fallopian tube, the abortion pill won’t end her pregnancy
● The embryo would continue to grow, possibly causing the fallopian tube to rupture, which might put the woman’s life at risk
● An ultrasound can detect an ectopic pregnancy, which could save the woman’s life
For more information on fetal development, visit mayoclinic.org.
● The U.S. Food and Drug administration (fda.gov)
● U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health